Travel Tips For Couples: Managing Travel Money
Each couple is different, which means how they manage travel money as a couple would be different. You really have to find what works for you and your partner. For us, splitting everything during the trip is a pain. Keeping that in mind, here are some tips on how Harry and I manage money before, during and after travel:
- Keep track of money spent on booking flights, accommodation, car rental etc – we have a notebook next to our calendar where we keep track of who spent what on what
- If possible, keep the spend as even as you can all the way through
- Review money spent before your trip for an idea of split and what’s left to pay
- Take note as soon as possible to avoid forgetting
- Just like ‘before’, include amount, who paid and what for
- Keep notes in a central place – I generally track it on the notepad on my phone
- Track currencies if you are dealing with more than one
- Cross off amounts as you go e.g. if Harry spends £30 on tickets, and I spend £30 on dinner, why keep them on the list?
- Don’t track smaller costs (as a guide I’d say no less than £5 / $10), instead take turns in buying these items like water
- Check the note every day or two to help realign an even spend throughout the trip
- ‘Close off’ travel spend soon after the trip to work out the difference
- Give / transfer the difference to your partner or add it to your general everyday spend list as a couple… we have one of those too!
- If the difference is insignificant, close it off as is
- If the difference is a bit more than insignificant, dinner is on the one who’s spent less!
- Communicate! Check in with the other to make sure they’re happy with the final amount and outcome
Money can be a stressful topic but if you love and trust each other, you can find a way to manage your travel money as a couple. This is just one way to do it. Good luck!
Guest post published by Jodie from – hofftoexplore.com